Friday, May 14, 2010

"I Love You More Than..."

I wanted to share this article with all you Dad's. I recommend you go to http://www.fathers.com for encouraging articles for dad's. I pray this will bless you, motivate you, and encourage you with your kids. Remember, it is not too late to connect with our kids. When you think about it, we only have them for such a short period of their lives. It blows me away when I look at my son to see him already a husband and father. So take advantage of the time you have with them. Let them know how much you love them. I know I have blown it at times, but I have learned not to dwell on past mistakes and to make the best of now and the future.

Mark Soto

Not long ago, a reader of this weekly email named Tom sent us an encouraging message. He took our suggestions on expressing love to his children and made them his own. He wrote:
Recently, I read in your [email] about how to connect with your small child. I got down on my five-year-old's bed and told her, "Do you know that I love you wider than an airplane's wings?" "Do you know that I love you more than Mama Kangaroo loves the little baby in her pouch?" "Do you know that I love you more times than all the leaves on all the trees in our yard?" Later, she told me with a beaming smile, "Dad, I love when you tell me those things."
To Think About ...
Great things can happen when a dad thinks creatively and expresses his heart to his child. And maybe there's a nugget here that you can apply with your children. What's in your heart for your child? During those moments when you feel pride or love or joy welling up because you have great kids or you grasp the privilege of being a dad, how do you express it? Those moments might not happen every day, but look for them and relay your feelings to your child.
Maybe, like Tom, you can share a meaningful word picture, or renew your commitment to spend regular time with your child. Bonus hugs are always a good idea. And every kid wants to hear their dad say something like, "I thought of you today, and it really felt good." Too often, we dads don't feel comfortable sharing our emotions, but we need to overcome that, and one of these ideas could be a good place to start.

Championship Fathering

No comments:

Post a Comment

If we made you laugh, made you cry, made you mad or made you think--leave us some comment love! Feel free to ask questions, too!