Monday, January 11, 2010

Selfless Giving

My wife and I just recently became grandparents to a beautiful baby girl.
Her name is Aubrey. First of all I can’t believe I’m a grandpa at this point in my life, but she is definitely a gift from God. Our son and his wife are living with us, so we get to see our grandbaby everyday. My wife has been a tremendous help to both our son and our daughter-in-law. She has shown me a new meaning of selfless giving these past two weeks. I am married to an amazing woman. Our daughter-in-law started having mild contractions a week prior to her delivery. She was unable to sleep at night during this time. My wife was up every night with her to comfort her. She would get up early the next morning to help her through the day. She has been doing laundry for them. Helping set up their room, organize the babies stuff and so on. At the hospital she was there from beginning to end. Helping with our granddaughter, helping with breast feeding, changing her, dealing with the hospital. I can go on forever. She did all this with minimum amounts of sleep. We also have our two daughters’ at home to take care of. Just watching my wife give of herself without ever complaining. In fact I complained for her and she would just tell me it’s in her heart to serve. God has truly given her a heart to serve. I was convicted in the area of serving others. Don’t get me wrong, I love to serve, but my wife can just keep going even when she is tired and she does it without complaining. Don’t worry; she has learned to draw boundaries, so she does not taken away from me and our girls. She is amazing. I know I said that already, but I can’t say it enough. She has inspired me to do things selflessly and without complaining and that can be a challenge with me at times. I ask God to give us His heart. To be able to serve with a joy in our hearts. To serve our spouse, our children, family, friends, and even strangers. Jesus was the example of a servant’s heart. He went to the cross for us. I think about Jesus washing the disciples’ feet. How humble of an act it was. John 13: 15-17- “For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.” This doesn’t mean we go around washing everyone’s feet, but it does show us how to humble ourselves to serve other’s even if we feel we are above what we are doing. So remember, our service starts at home first with our spouse and children. But we are also called to serve one another. I know it will sometimes take us out of our cozy little lifestyles, too bad. Imagine if Jesus decided not to die on the cross because it wouldn’t benefit Him or He was too busy. Let’s go out of our way for each other. Let’s pray, encourage, and love one another as Jesus showed us. Thank you babe for reminding me what a selfless heart looks like. You are amazing. I love you.
Romans 12:10- "Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves."

Mark Soto

No comments:

Post a Comment

If we made you laugh, made you cry, made you mad or made you think--leave us some comment love! Feel free to ask questions, too!