Sunday, January 17, 2010

Marital Drift

I've been thinking a lot lately about that inevitable (unless you set your eyes on the prize and stay vigilant) thing called marital drift. This has particularly been on the forefront on my mind as I watch multiple friends go through rough patches in their marriages and some getting divorces.  It breaks my heart.

Somewhere between running the kids around town to soccer games and getting to business meetings and church events and bills and holidays, life can get lost!

I hate feeling disconnected.

I was talking on the phone with my mother today and my cell phone battery died.  We got disconnected.  But, in real life, with people and not electronics, the disconnect happens gradually.  Sometimes by the time we realize we are disconnected there is a chasm to cross.

It's good to sometimes step back and make an honest evaluation of things.  And more importantly to reach out--while the distance is still the kitchen table and not the Grand Canyon.

The other night Gana built a fire in the pit outside.  We sat outside for four hours drinking tea and talking.  Four hours!  It was wonderful!  It seems like when we finally slowed down and starting talking, we couldn't stop!  We had so much to say and so much stuff stored up! 

Now for those that do not have six children under eight years old, this might not seem like a big deal.  Maybe you are having simply rivetting coversations with your spouse everyday.  But, to be honest, it had been a while since we talked for that long a stretch of time without interruption and without distraction.  No computer.  No phones.  No television.  No company.  Even no children (they were in bed sleeping).



We are in the process of moving.  And in sorting and packing I came across this song from an old Erin O'Donnell album called "A Scrapbook of Sorts."  I haven't listened to it in years.  But, listening to it the last couple of days this song just spoke deeply to my heart, as I prayed for marriages.  The marriages of my friends, family members, in the Church, and even my own.

We keep standing.  And if you are tired of standing, you should know that we are standing with you.  Together, we are going to make it through.

"Dear Francis, I wouldn't still be here, if I didn't think, we'd get through......"

2 comments:

  1. Daja, thank you for these pertinent and poignant thoughts. 'Marital drift' -- such a great title. Marriages -- Christian marriages -- are under *such* attack from the god of this world. husbandPat and I pray *daily*/ each morning for marriages to endure -- to glorify God. I'm so glad you are writing on this topic. I will likely be sharing what you've written with others here in my corner of the world. The Lord bless and keep you, today and always. Love in Christ, ann in faith, a real town in nc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this needs to be listened to at regular intervals! It just might reach down to those deep parts where just "knowing better" doesn't get to.

    ReplyDelete

If we made you laugh, made you cry, made you mad or made you think--leave us some comment love! Feel free to ask questions, too!