Friday, March 5, 2010

How To Be A Better Wife

(From A Holy Experience.)

I ask him at the end of the trail, the end of the weekend, the end of fifteen years. I ask him before we set out again.



We sit under the oaks, green banners flying in the wind. There had been a pause in our passing of words back and forth and it was what I was really wondering, so I’d stepped out into the fear (who knows how’d he answer?) and just released the words, slow and quiet, one at a time.


“How could I be a better wife to you?”


His eyes hold me. Like he knew we were coming to this. This bare, unashamed place. Intimacy is only a possibility when we slip out of small talk and gently peel off a layer of the heart. The leaves wave.


I wait while he gathers thoughts, watch the trees in June blue. The curve of his hand cups mine, a sure warm wrapping.


And then he speaks softly, wind in leaves.

Read what this husband answers here.  And may the grace of the covenant be yours today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If we made you laugh, made you cry, made you mad or made you think--leave us some comment love! Feel free to ask questions, too!